New York Convention: Final Information

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

Re: New York Convention: Final Information

Post by Nick Foghorn Leghorn »

914-714-2441I'll be back from DC friday night, I think. I'll probably be able to meet up with y'all saturday morning if you give me a time and a place. ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

Scott of Hyperborea

New York Convention: Final Information

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

We will be staying at the Hostelling International New York Hostel, on Manhattan's Upper West Side on the corner of 103rd and Amsterdam. You can find directions here.I am not going to be there myself until very late on Friday. I suggest that all Shirerithians meet in the lobby the hostel at midnight Friday night so we know we've all made it. We'll then spend the night at the hostel and start doing stuff the next day. This is the biggest hostel in New York City and should be able to accomodate all of us. If not, meet in the lobby at midnight anyway and we'll discuss where the rest of us are going to sleep and where we'll meet the next morning.I want cell phone numbers of everyone who is attending the convention and has a cell phone. I don't have one myself, but if you're going to be late for some reason or you get lost or you're kidnapped by demons or something, then you should be able to call someone else at the convention so they can tell everyone else what's going on.If you don't have a cell phone and you need to get in contact with other people at the convention, go to a cafe and post your message in THIS THREAD. If there is someone missing or something else suspicious going on, the people at the convention will find an Internet cafe and check here first.If you are an Antican or someone else who lives in New York and want to join us, you have a couple of options. First, we're heading down to New Rochelle to meet the Anticans Saturday night, so you can see us then. If you want to come into the city and spend the night with us at the hostel, you can do that too. Or you can meet us the next morning in the hostel; if someone wants to do that, we'll have to figure out a time and everything.The convention will probably be officially breaking up after dinner Sunday night, at which point everyone can fend for themselves. There's no official plan as to where people are sleeping Sunday night; we will probably end up in Bill's house or thereabout and then it's up to everyone to get back from there.Have money with you. I can't stress this enough. We'll be purchasing two to three nights worth of accomodation, taking some rather long bus or train trips to New Rochelle and Setauket, and eating. If someone were to run out of money, that would not be pretty.Once again I would like a list of who is coming, so we know to be worried if they don't show up. If someone is only coming to part of the convention, then it's even more important we get a cell phone number so that we can arrange to meet.Eoin, can I have some sort of official Kaiserial authority to arrange this, and maybe a post as ambassador to the United Nations?

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Good luck picketing the UN. I think signs are in order, so don't forget some poster board and markers (since paint takes a while to dry)! *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Question, from one who will probably be arriving early-to-mid Saturday rather than Friday. I'm still in the planning stages of how I'm doing this (yes, yes, it's a bit late... so sue me), but I'm looking to take an Amtrak train up there. Now, I know on Saturday afternoon we're supposed to be going to New Rochelle to meet Anticans. What I want to know is this: should I try to meet everyone at the hostel before that, or (if that can be coordinated) should I just get off the Amtrak at the New Rochelle station, and wait for everyone else to show up there?Edit: If the latter, my train would be arriving in New Rochelle around 2:30 pm or such. Edited by: Shyriath  at: 10/5/05 11:04

Scott of Hyperborea

Shy, I don't anticipate us getting to New Rochelle much before dinnertime. Do you have a cell phone?

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Direct into NYC it shall be, then. Oh, and yes, I have a cellphone. 443-271-9828, I believe.About the hostel thing... has anyone been able to make reservations, or are we all just going to try for whatever we can get when we get there?

Scott of Hyperborea

The second, more irresponsible one. They wouldn't take reservations unless I paid them then and there, and I decided it would be more trouble than it was worth to get money from all of you and get it to them.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

All righty then. If it helps, and if no one else has found them already, I have the addresses of some other hostels in the same area; I took the precaution of getting one of those travel-guide sort of books from the local library. In the event that there aren't enough rooms for everyone at Hostels International when we get there, those who can't get rooms can try one of the other ones as a backup plan.Central Park Hostel is the closest to HI, just a few blocks to the east (though I dunno how big a NYC block is in this context). it's at 19 W. 103rd St., between Manhattan Ave. and Central Park W. They have a website at http://www.centralparkhostel.com/ Prices for dorms seem to be generally in the $30 range.Jazz on the Park is a bit further away, northeast of HI and north of Central Park Hostel (36 W. 106th St.; that portion of street is apparently also called "Duke Ellington Blvd."). Website is at http://www.jazzhostel.com/ and prices are, again, in the $30 range for dorms. (When visiting the website, be sure to look at info for "Jazz on the Park" as opposed to "Jazz on the Town", which is in a different part of the city.) It seems to be a very nice place for the price, but the guide notes that it's very good idea to get reservations if you're staying sometime between June and October... by which I can only guess that it's a very popular place this time of year.

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

Allright, got some questions.My family (well, my dad) originally had planned to take us to DigitalLife (Info here.) at the Javits Center in the city next Sunday. Obviously, this is more important. Now, the question is this: Do you guys want to go there, (Admission should be about ~$14 or so) or instead come to my house all the way here in East Setauket? It's up to you guys, and more importantly, I need information either way about how I should meet you. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);Edited by: Bill3000 at: 10/7/05 6:41

dStryker

Post by dStryker »

Since I don't live too far away, I can come on any day. However, I won't be spending the night, so what day would be best for me to come? Also, is there any schedule of when we will be doing things? Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

stevenAntica

Post by stevenAntica »

I might come in Saturday morning to meet you or I'll just meet you Saturday night, I live very close to Nick's house where we will be congregating. My father is not too kean on company so...yeah...we'll stay at Foghorn's.

Scott of Hyperborea

Digital Life sounds like an excellent idea. So that means the current schedule is:Friday night: Meet up, confirm that we're all thereSPEND FRIDAY NIGHT AT HOSTELSaturday morning: UNSaturday afternoon: Touristy stuffSaturday night: Meet the Anticans in New RochelleSPEND SATURDAY NIGHT AT NEW ROCHELLESunday morning: Get back into NYCSunday afternoon: Go to Digital Life with BillCONVENTION ENDS SUNDAY EVENINGBill, do you have a cell phone at which we can reach you?Anyone who is coming one day only can choose which day they want. It's not a very good situation either way. If you are coming Saturday only, be aware that we're spending a lot of the latter half of Saturday in New Rochelle, so you would have to either leave before we go there (meaning you only have a few hours with us) or you have to get back from New Rochelle to wherever you live. If you come Sunday, you either have to meet us in New Rochelle or else you'll only be with us for the convention with Bill. All in all I wouldn't recommend it either way. If it's the cost of staying overnight the second night that is a problem for you, I believe Foghorn can fit a few people in his house, so we can triage it so that a couple of the poorer people can stay with him and those of us with a little more money can share a hotel room.I haven't seen Serenity yet and there's no way to see it on my campus, so if people are interested maybe we can all do that as a group at some point.Remember...we're meeting THIS FRIDAY. Come one, come all.

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

There's a rather nice movie theatre in New Rochelle, you know. Not a bad idea for a field trip.As for the accomidations on Sturday night, I'm still looking into hotels in the area. I know of one that is fairly large and fairly cheap (I.E. people sharing rooms would lower the price per capita), so I'm gunna get a quote tomorrow. ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

Gryphon the Pure

Post by Gryphon the Pure »

408-856-4952 Scion of the Mog Kaiser

Scott of Hyperborea

Dstryker's cell phone: 989-284-0970

Scott of Hyperborea

Bah. There goes our "walls of New York" tour. : -->:">

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

There's still the "[insert celebrity here] threw up after a drinking binge in this spot" tour... ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

stevenAntica

Post by stevenAntica »

(914)-819-2365Oh, you should know that I'm a world renowned expert on the subway and metro north system so I might come in Saturday morning so you guys don't you know...wander aimlessly into walls. Edited by: stevenAntica at: 10/9/05 8:39

dStryker

Post by dStryker »

Since New Rochelle is between New Haven and New York, I could theoretically stay all day Saturday. However, I would have to find a way to get to the train station in New Rochelle, obviously.Does anyone know the times when we'll be doing things? I need to know when I should arrive on Saturday morning so that I can buy my tickets in time. Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. - Bertrand Russell

RicLyon

Post by RicLyon »

Is everything New Something over there??New York, New Haven, New Rochelle Talk about toponymical imagination. Richard LyonYansha Elaer Kyon gef ShanPernem kahn gef kuymal per varga stiPernem kahn gef varga per kuymal sti

Osman Shahanshah

Post by Osman Shahanshah »

It gets worse in New England (There you go as well) they couldn't even be bothered to add a 'new' to Boston.

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

Here's the bad news: all the hotels in New Rochelle are sold out for the weekend of the 15th. Don't ask why, I don't understand it. But you could, in theory, go back to the hostel Saturday night. ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

OctaviusMe

Post by OctaviusMe »

Or stay at Nick's house.

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

Don't think my parents would appreciate that. ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

Who's up for annexing Nick's house? By the way, an update on what I know about my arrival and departure, if it helps with planning at all:I'll be arriving Saturday morning at around 10am on a Greyhound bus. When I get there I'm going to contact one of you folks by cellphone, let you know I arrived, and figure out where you are (or are going to) at the time, and how it would be best for me to join up with you.I'll be spending Saturday night there in whatever location everyone else is going to be in, and I'll be traveling around with everybody for most of Sunday. My bus back home leaves at 7:30pm, but depending on how Greyhound does their online ticket stuff (will they give me round-trip tickets at the station here? Or do I have to pick up a one-way ticket here to get there, plus another one there to get back? I dunno), I may have to be at the station an hour earlier than that. And, of course, what with traffic, I'll need to allow myself plenty of time to get back there so I don't miss any deadlines.

Scott of Hyperborea

That kinda sucks. When's the last train out of New Rochelle? Or is there any possibility we can convince a couple of the other Anticans to divide us up among y'all in exchange for free sleepovers with us if you're ever in California or wherever else?

Scott of Hyperborea

Nick Foghorn Leghorn

there wouldn't happen to be any spare Shireroth t-shirts, would there? ________________It is a damn poor mind indeed which can't think of at least two ways to spell any word.-Andrew Jackson

Scott of Hyperborea

Stuff

Not for free, no. But you can get them at http://www.cafepress.com/shireroth

Imperial Ras Charles

Re: Stuff

Post by Imperial Ras Charles »

Where will y'all be Sunday morning between 10 and 11? Is that when you're petitioning the UN? Could it be? Please?

Return to “General Discussion”