Pro hosting for life?

Updates and expands the website, http://www.shireroth.org
Fax Celestis

Re: Pro hosting for life?

Post by Fax Celestis »

What exactly are the arguments against phpBoards, and the ones for? Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

The ones for:1.It is possible to convert from EZBoard to phpBB.2.phpBB can make RELIABLE forum backups.3.phpBB is highly customizable, and can allow for several mods, including a money mod in case we need a way to track money in an economy.4.Customization of the layout and style is easy to do, cleaner, and more complete than that of EZBoard.5.Moving to our own board system will remove the burden of having to pay $60 a year for a messy, outdated system. And as this will go in conjunction with our pro for life plan, we will be saving a grand total of around $180-$200 a year. Within a year and a half we will have already payed off the supposed money lost.6.User groups can organize the fiefdoms, as well as control access to forums.7.The benefit of being able to go to multiple boards through EZBoard isn't an issue, as:A.All of the new citizens we got during the ad campeign were perfectly fine with filling out an immigration form(as well as registering for EZBoard, for the ones who actually stayed).B.All of our main citizens already have an EZAccount, so the benefit of multiple forums is not lost to them.I believe those are quite enough reason to switch. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Our current confirmed donations are at $160, as Erik's financial situation has put him down to a $10 donation.+Scott's $20+Eoin's $36 (Euro's are just a hair or so over a US Dollar, sadly)+Hypatia's $20 if she can spare it=$236 estimated money possible to be collected. We're $63 short of our goal. Let's do this NPR style! We need money! They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

AngelGuardian93

Post by AngelGuardian93 »

This is for the pro-hosting thing right? There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

yup. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

AngelGuardian93

I could knock my part up a bit I suppose... There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

So does the pro-EZ side have anything to say? They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

That we simply arn't going to do it. We've been on ezBoard for five years now - it is part of our own legacy. I see no need to destroy part of our legacy, when I find the format of phpBB forums to be awful. Unless you can find a format for the forums that is precisely like ezBoard, I will refuse to switch.Backups don't matter if the entire forum system goes down the crapper and you have to start from the beginning, by the way. I know of a forum named Eventis that has a lot of problems with the system and has to start from scratch each time it goes down. While that may be allright for a spam forum like Eventis, that isn't good for our boards.And if you think that offer will be valid for eternity, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that I would like to sell you. Bill Dusch - Archon of SoloralismCitizen of ShirerothBaron of AntyaProud to be Apollonianvar txtList = new Array()txtList[txtList.length]="'Whoa! You're in...college now? You got...older! I guess that's what happens when time passes, but still...' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'The Hindenburg Uncertainty Principle, by contrast states that before you get on a blimp, you can never be certain whether it's going to catch on fire or not' - Scott Siskind";txtList[txtList.length]="'We.....are.....not....FANTASY!>?!POE' - Scott Siskind, on hearing Bill Dusch say that Shireroth's theme is percieved to be Fiction-Fantasy based";txtList[txtList.length]="'me to. well almost, we have to worship the living god, Bill3000.' - Hubert";txtList[txtList.length]="'Y'know what? I am never going to get out of micronations. I think I need to be assassinated or something.' - Jason Steffke";txtList[txtList.length]="'Bill, you are STILL young and stupid.' - Jason Steffke, Control of Destiny 1";txtList[txtList.length]="'I think we've gotta promote you. You now have slightly more diplomatic skills than a random rock.' - Sirithil nos Feanor, to Bill Dusch";txtList[txtList.length]="'Wow. I'm this close to admitting you're no longer young and stupid.' - Scott Siskind, to Bill";txtList[txtList.length]="'ow! I've been thrwappen! Now I have a sudden urge to enter politics...' - Gryphon the Pure, after being hit by a shard of Pure Mischief";txtList[txtList.length]="'I could probably date Hypatia's Mom. Now THAT'S scary.' - Ryan Caruso"; j=parseInt(Math.random()*txtList.length);j=(isNaN(j))?0:j;document.write(txtList[j]);Edited by: Bill3000 at: 10/23/05 14:28

Taoiseach Taicardainre I

Post by Taoiseach Taicardainre I »

The entire system cant go down if you have backups, you simply delete it and reinstall it. I have screwed the GC forums up a number of times, and they can be reinstalled in a matter of minutes to the exact same state. Since the backup is automatic, it doesnt matter. Since all our backups are automatically sent to gmail and another email account, as well as downloaded less frequently, they cant all go unless the internet collapses. Taoiseach Taicardainre IThe Grand Commonwealth - Aerlig - MNN - Treesia - mncentre - EIFA - Lemuria

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

If by format you mean how it looks, yeah, that falls under the "customized to look exactly like our ezboard" part. And there's a difference between sticking to legacy and blindly clinging to inefficiency.Even if the plan dies after 5 years we save money and thensome. Brinkster has been online since before I started making websites 6 years ago, and has only grown since then. I will bet $50 of my own money (the part I'm contributing) that it will last long enough to pay for itself.Besides, the agreement is for 60 years or your lifetime, whichever is shorter. So no, I don't expect it to last for eternity.And Tai(Rakesh? *shrug*) pretty much covers the entire concept of backups. I mean, backups are not useless, considering I backup the wiki database once weekly onto my own computer and upload it to two other hosts for secure storage. If they're useless, why do I bother?And Eventis is awkward. Last time I heard about them they were a quasi-micronation. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

Lachlan Powers

Post by Lachlan Powers »

Moose, can you run cron jobs? How big is the db? I can send you the files to back up Microwiki automatically. (It was me under an old login). ejen ranti taicardainre (Lachlan Powers)The Grand Commonwealth - Aerlig - MNN - Treesia - mncentre - EIFA - Lemuria

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

DB is about 30-40 megs uncompressed (at least, last time I backed it up) and the server doesn't like pre-compressing them for some reason. And no, I don't have server admin access and thusly can't run cron jobs. That's Erik's deal, although if we switch to this new server I'm hoping I'll be allowed to be privy to the login, considering I'm throwing in $50. And I'd like to hear what the other side has to say, otherwise I'm going to go ahead with this, or at least get it in front of the landsraad for an actual vote or something. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

$10 from Erik+$64 from Me (Validated)+$50 from Fax (Validated)+$50 from Greg (Validated on Monday)+$20 from Scott (Validated)+$36 from Eoin (Validated)+$20 from Hypatia (Validated in a week or so)+$50 from Anonymous (Validated)=$300!!!We've reached our pledge goal. Fax has said that he's willing to be the one registering the site, so everyone should send their money to him. Before we do, though, I'm going to try and get a confirmation from everyone that they have the money and are ready to send it. I'll edit this post as people validate. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...Edited by: osmose1000  at: 10/31/05 22:16

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

$36, hmmm? Alright, someone want to give me an address to send it to?

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

I leave it up to you people in finding a way to get the money to Fax. Send it away as soon as possible! They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

AngelGuardian93

Roger that. There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

UEC

Post by UEC »

I thought we were keeping stuff under my name? E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Were we?You're welcome to pay for it if you like, but I'd have to paypal my bit to you or something. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

AngelGuardian93

When did we agree on that? There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

James, I still need your address. You can PM, IM, or email me whenever. I have the money ready to send. *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Ask moose if I'm not online. He has it. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Originally my plan was to keep it under your name, but because Fax is donating a large amount and has a $3300 limit credit card, I decided to send the money to him. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...

UEC

Post by UEC »

Whatever.. As I trust Fax implicitly.. I have no problem with this... (My original plan was to do what I've done with the site so far and put on my Debit card..) Though seeing as I'm always gonna be here, and a part of Shireroth till the day it dies... and founded it.. whatever.. doesn't matter.. James is trustworthy in my eyes so I have no issue... If it was anyone else... I might request otherwise.... anyhoo... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Does doing it under James' name imply that James will have total control over the site? I really like the way we're doing it now with Erik, just because he's Shirerithian enough to care about us but gone enough to always be neutral. Would it be possible for James to buy it under Erik's name or something?And I can up my contribution to $30 to take some of the load off someone else if you want. Birthday's coming so money situation no longer quite so bad.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

We've resolved to give the root site admin password to Me, Greg, Fax, and Anonymous(He's trustworthy, don't fret.) since we all are donating $50, or $64 in my case. Everyone else who pays can request an FTP account with a subdomain of their choice.Additionally, we're all going to sign(well, e-sign, whatever) a document verifying that each of us will never take any action to delete the work of another or to do something bad, etc. They call it a signature, but no one ever signs their posts...Edited by: osmose1000  at: 11/2/05 9:48

AngelGuardian93

I will have the money in my hands later today. There are no flowers, no not this time. There will be no angels gracing the lines, just these stark words I find.

UEC

Post by UEC »

And accually Scott it would be able too.. James would just need my info..On a side note.. it may be that I can donate that 50 after all... I forgot I had funds coming to me.. accually.. I could proly cover $125 of it... E. Metzler (UEC)Duke of Brookshire"Never use a BOO/\/\ist as a diplomat" -- GSClicky Clicky..., Tiss for your own good ya know.

Kaiser Yarad I

Post by Kaiser Yarad I »

I was about to ask you Fax, but you logged off AIM.Could you PM it to me?

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I'm still leary about giving up control of Shireroth website completely. If the nation ever dies or falls on a massive hard time.. Or a crazy admin.... it's gonna fall to me to restore shit when others have gone and left... Erik Mortis BrookshireEricir Murtil ranna ChasemónCount of Monty CriscoRetired Ex-Everything.Member of The Programmers' Guild of ShirerothShirerithian ElderGeneral in the YAC

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

Dude, I'm here to stay. Viatax Sitadi Axdivijink Regigoraauk

Return to “Ministry of Information”