The judiciary, for settling disputes and feudal contracts

Moderator: CJ Miller

Scott of Hyperborea

Imperial Republic vs. Duke Malliki Tosha

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Your Honor, I would like to open a case against Duke Tosha of Brookshire:

The Lawbook, Part II, Section F, Subsection 1, says:
1. Alliances
a. All Duchies are allied to each other through the Imperial Government.
b. Barons may not make alliances with any other subdivision that is not the Duchy to which they are subordinate.
c. Duchies may not create any manner of alliance with other subdivisions that are not their subordinate.
d. Subdivisions may make no alliance with powers outside of Shireroth.
Duke Tosha is obviously very familiar with this particular subsection.

Despite this profound knowledge of the law, Duke Tosha has deliberately and knowingly forged an illegal alliance with the Duchy of Goldshire. The two Duchies struck a deal in which Goldshire would support Brookshire culturally, politically, and militarily in exchange for its freedom. I wish to present two pieces of incontrovertible evidence:

On the Hallo logs:
[01:01:46] <harvey> Support an independent Goldshire duchy
[01:01:59] <malliki> Haha why would I do that?
[01:02:40] <corey> that sounds like something I would have done
[01:02:55] <harvey> Well, you wanted to know what you could do...
[01:03:14] <harvey> We'd be particularly grateful. You'd have an ally in the Landsraad and only have to give up a tiny fraction of your land.
[01:03:31] <malliki> You mean 2/5ths of my land?
[01:03:59] <malliki> 40% isn't exactly a "tiny fraction".
[01:04:16] <harvey> Given our poor bargaining position, we'd be willing to accept less than the traditional boundary line.
[01:04:27] <malliki> And I won't lose any land to the Elwynnese in this war, so why should I voluntarily give up land?
[01:04:53] <harvey> I'll give you three reasons.
[01:05:22] <harvey> First, you have nothing practical to lose. The land doesn't determine your voting power and you're not really doing anything with it anyway.
[01:05:44] <harvey> Second, as I said, we'd consider Brookshire political and military allies, so you'd essentially double your influence in the Landsraad.
On this thread, Duke Steffke says:
That the Duchy of Goldshire holds no ill-will towards the Duchy of Brookshire, its Duke, and Barons and Counts, and its people. Indeed, we thank them for many years of protection and prosperity. A state of unending friendship shall exist between Goldshire and Brookshire, an alliance dedicated towards cultural growth, legislative agreement, and military aide.
To which Duke Tosha immediately responded:
The Duchy of Brookshire aknowledges an independent Goldshire, and vows to support and defend its sovereignty under the Imperial Government and the Kaiser.
I will not be pressing charges against Duke Steffke, because he has been away from Shireroth for some time and probably lacks familiarity with the associated laws. However, Duke Tosha clearly knows these laws and is even willing to apply them against others when it suits his purposes. Therefore, I ask that he be punished with a penalty appropriate to the crime, preferably the loss of his Duchy.

Alternately, if Duke Tosha were to admit that maybe the entire spectrum of issues surrounding this matter might be more complex than he has hitherto realized, and maybe no prosecutions are necessary at the moment at all, I might be willing to drop my case.

Malliki Tosha

Re: Imperial Republic vs. Duke Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Your Honor,

I would like Mr. Scott to explain how he can bring a suit against me if Hyperborea no longer forms a part of Shireroth, as he has claimed elsewhere?
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Your Honor, you would have to ask Duke Tosha that. He is the one who is constantly trying to insist that I remain within the jurisdiction of this court and Shirerithian law, despite my protestations that I am rebelling.

If Duke Tosha admits that I am outside the jurisdiction of this court and of Shirerithian Law, I will withdraw this case. If you rule that I am outside the jurisdiction of this court and of Shirerithian Law, I will withdraw this case. Of course, either such action would also have to result in the other two cases against me being closed.

Until one of those two things happens, I will continue to press this case.

Malliki Tosha

Post by Malliki Tosha »

Your Honor,

I maintain that Mr. Scott is within Shirerithian jurisdiction by posting on these forums. I suggest that Mr. Scott create a separate forum for Hyperborea if he wishes to maintain that Hyperborea has seceded.

I also move that these charges be dismissed on account of my acts being a non-malicious act, as defined by I, C, 1 of the LawBook. I had no malicious intent, and I also believe the return of the Duchy of Goldshire to be beneficial to the nation.
Malliki Tosha
Owner, Mortis Mercatoria FC
Owner, Newport City FC

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

Enough!

I have had enough angst from the both of you!

I will prepare a single unified case (tomorrow) that will address this ordeal. Until this time both parties will refrain from posting.

I suggest that you both use this time to come up with your arguments and official positions.

Court is adjourned :smashy .
Leo Fenrir

steal

Post by steal »

Your honor,

How do you justify that interrupted court proceedings right now? It's an urgent matter that should be treated immediately.

Do your job.

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

I NEED TO SLEEP....

And it can wait. There is no immediate risk.
Leo Fenrir

steal

Post by steal »

The work takes precedence over health. Always. And you know it.

Leo Fenrir

Post by Leo Fenrir »

One more time... I dare you to speak in my court one more time...
Leo Fenrir

steal

Post by steal »

Oh no, forgive me, my greatness.

Return to “Imperial Judex”