I almost didn't post this thread to make a point...

For commoners to suggest and discuss Landsraad bills

Moderators: Jonas, CJ Miller

Ari Rahikkala

I almost didn't post this thread to make a point...

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

... then I realised that people wouldn't notice if I didn't say anything...

Just pointing out a few things about the procedures amendment bill that people might have missed. Or not. I'm kinda neutral on the bill itself.

Anyways, you might remember that when the Landsraad was dukes-only, the discussion on any bill almost always took place at the Front Gate. Sure, the Landsraad itself did barely anything but vote on things... but it was OK, if you ask me. There was a fairly clean separation between voting and debate, and while participation in voting was restricted to only a few people, everyone could take part in the debate.

Now that half of Shireroth has access to the Landsraad proper, a lot of discussion on bills has moved into the Landsraad forum, and thereby out of the reach of those of us who don't currently have a position of nobility. Thus if you want to participate in the debate you have to start a parallel thread at the Front Gate. There's less of a chance this thread gets started in the first place since there are fewer people who can't just voice their concerns in the Landsraad proper.

Of course there's more going on here, hence my neutrality. For instance there's accounting for the fact that the ability to debate in the Landsraad is something of a privilege so having it might encourage people to use it (check out the fairly detailed discussion in the IAC archives sometime). And then there's the fact that if you have a vote you'll want to cast it, and when you cast it in a public place you'll want to justify it.

... man, not having a vote in the Landsraad is such a relief sometimes :)
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Ari Rahikkala

Re: I almost didn't post this thread to make a point...

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

... or, you know, the discussion might just be going on in a different thread at the Front Gate already and I might have completely failed to pay attention and realise it was there...

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

*adds this to the list of threads to show Ari when Ari asks what a typical Ari thread looks like*

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

I take my slightly socially dysfunctional INTP nature seriously.

Allot

Post by Allot »

Continuing down this line of thought, is a remedy necessary to this problem? Or am I just going to have to develop super-smarts to deal?
Isabelle Allot Kalirion
Retired

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Is this implying you do not already have super-smarts and can't deal?!

I'm not sure I'm willing to accept that!

Return to “Landsraad Front Gate”