Steampunk

Moderator: Gman Russell

Ryan

Steampunk

Post by Ryan »

So I am thinking of moving much of Yardistan in the direction of steampunk, both culturally and technologically. This plays a lot into the story of The Retreating Ice, which emphasizes a lot of steampunk technology and atmosphere - the Napoleonic setting of Lac Glacei, giant airships, so on and so forth.

I will, with or without greater consent, be moving the Saran Isles in this direction. Mar Sara, the Sarein Archipelago, and soon Florin Sara. These will all be linked together by a series of stories and background histories I am currently developing.

As Duke I have the option of applying this to the rest of Yardistan by decree - to Absentia and the United Isles specifically.

Icebreaker Disclaimer: THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE STRAYLIGHT, SO DON'T GET YOUR TITTIES IN A BUNCH.
Straylight and its sanct/OTEC technology is in a category all its own, and therefore can choose its own path.

So really this would only apply to the two baronies I mentioned. It would not affect things on a strong level, but rather give people a basic guideline to follow saying "This is our tech level and society. Make what you will of it." So both Greg and Jake can basically continue as they are (or aren't, as the matter may be) but with the simple stipulation that we tie the subdivisions of the duchy together by a common sense of culture and technology.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Rantings?
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Erik Mortis

Re: Steampunk

Post by Erik Mortis »

Yardistan is dead... so what's there to overwrite?

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

It's dead? How is it dead?

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

It's not Yardistan anymore. It's just another Duchy.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

:party

Bill3000

Post by Bill3000 »

:archy
Senechal Bill Trihus of Greater Audentior
Citizen of Shireroth
Zor nukrô šempi zor fredrô

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

Technology-wise, why not? Shireroth's technology level is way too messed-up for another weird idea to cause any more damage.

But Yardistan already has a culture. If they start wearing monocles and drinking tea, I'm gonna learn Yardistani and call you nasty names in it.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I don't intend to overwrite anything. This'll mostly be in regards to my barony anyways. I'd much prefer Greg and Jake to do with it what they wish. But it will also help me to get the entire Yardistani military on the same page tech-wise. Why have So Sarans on horseback and then have Mar Sarans with spacesuits? Doesn't make any sense. Steampunk allows both, and makes sense of it all.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Just another time for the CRY to travel to, as far as I'm concerned.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Raises hand*

Don't suppose the idea would be extended to more retro-science-fictiony things? Steam-powered cyborgs? Immense airships? Spaceships harnessing the properties of the aether?

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

In celebration of the culture-death of Yardistan, I declare January 15th "Decade Grudge Day" and seal it with a little tune.

So bye-bye, Mr. Yardistan guy.
The duchy ain't got muchy
And I'm not gunna cry
And a grudge put to rest makes me feel high
Singin, "This'll be the day that you die."
"This'll be the day that you die."

:party :party :party

With that terrible bad taste and my Yardistaniphobia out of the way, I wholeheartedly approve of some Steampunk awesomeness. :thumbsup

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Shyriath wrote:*Raises hand*

Don't suppose the idea would be extended to more retro-science-fictiony things? Steam-powered cyborgs? Immense airships? Spaceships harnessing the properties of the aether?
You read my mind. :evil

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

To be honest, i'd rather not integrate steampunk into the Unites Isles. Naudia'Diva doesn't have any technology anyway (they're a hunting group with ties to Horjin, the Hunting God), so it would be innapropriate for them, and i'd rather not include it for MASS... (i'm just not that big of a fan of steam punk). If you have to think in cultural terms for MASS, it would be a gothic flair, for sure.

Otherwise, have fun. :D
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

Jess

Post by Jess »

I like the idea, Ryan. Hell, I'll even help out.
Jess,
<insert titles here>
Governor of Amokolia

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

*Wonders if his Sundersprites could be persuaded to attach dirigibles to some of their ships...*

Nomadic sailors = awesome. But also nomadic aviators? They might be forbidden to reside on land, but no one says they can't reside over it!

Return to “Yardistan”