Resource Charter

Moderators: Andreas the Wise, Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Andreas the Wise

Resource Charter

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Kildare MITO Resource Economy
Purpose: To create a system to use MITO resources for an individual nation's economy, to include the building of infrastructure, the development of citizens, and the accumulation of wealth for individuals.

Definitions: Resource: A resource is a good shown on the MCS Resource Map. Generally speaking, up to 100 units of resources per day can be gained from each overall deposit of resources. Well, that's not entirely true. Each nation in simple-MITO can get up to 100 per deposit. Two nations can share a deposit and both get 100. So there's a maximum of 200 per deposit, but only up to 100 can be got by one nation. At least, in MITO. More may be allowed with high levels of advancement.
Unit: A single unit is the amount of resource that can be produced by one Hired Labourer in one day being paid one unit of gold. All resources are measured in Units.
Hired Labourer: One Hired Labourer represents ten NPC workers who will work for one day for a unit of gold. Travel time is irrelvant for hired labourers, and hired labourers cannot be paid more to work more efficiently. There is no limit to the amount of hired labourers that may be employed at any time (though see Plot for the max of resources that can be mined)
Tenant: A tenant represents ten NPC workers (and, at higher levels, their families) who will work for a Governor in exchange for room and board. There is a limit to the amount of tenants a plot can sustain per Level of Development. Tenants are like citizens who live and work for you, and so it is your responsibility to tend to their needs (and, at higher levels, their wants).
Labour Units: Buildings require labourers to build them. A unit of labour is ten NPC workers doing the same amount of work as they would need to to get a full unit of Resource.
Player: Any real entity participating in the economy. There are three types: Governors, Rulers and Traders. Generally there is only one Ruler and Trader. Both the Trader and Ruler may play as a Governor also, but may not give their own Governor special concessions. I'm using semi-generic terms. The Ruler is the Duke, initially, and the Trader is MiniTrade.
Governor: A Governor is a PC, an actual person who controls tenants, hires labourers, buys plots and accumulates resources. Governors can be thought of as Counts, Barons, Dukes or Bussinessmen who look to develop an area and it's resource extracting potential. Governors are the main players.
Ruler: The Ruler is the starting owner of the land, who then sells it to Governors. The Rulers overriding concern is the accumulation of Gold, and keeping the general populous happy. Thus the Ruler will buy resources only to develop tenants on plots where gold can be mined, though he may also force other Governors to build roads or other infrastructure for him. There can only be one Ruler for each plot.
Trader: The Trader is the representative of the nation that trades with other nations using MITO. The Trader will buy up to the amount of resources the nation exports per day, and will sell Governors up to the amount of resources the nation imports per day.
Plot: A plot of land is a division of the overall land into manageable chunks. Governors can buy plots from the Ruler, and plots will have a certain number of people that can work on each resource, per day.
Gold Unit: The effective "currency" is units of gold. Gold units may or may not have a special name. This currency is only important for transacting with the Ruler, however - most exchanges of resources between players will be trading/bartering resources directly for other resources.

Starting: Each Governor shall start with a single plot of land, and 100 gold pieces.

Acquiring Resources: A map of all plots is prepared that includes, on another document, exactly what resources are available in what quantities. For a small fee, Governors can explore their land and determine it's resource capabilities. Some resources may be mutually exclusive (for example, you may not be able to mine and farm the same area at once).
Each day then, the Governor of a plot can arrange for resources to be extracted, based on how many NPC workers they have. Where a plot has multiple resources, they can choose how many workers devote how much time to each resource.
Each plot can, at maximum, employ one NPC worker for each unit of resource acquirable per day. So even if you have two first level Tenant who only produces 1 unit between them, you can't hire another Hired Labourer to fill the gap if you've already got as many people employed as units of resources possible to acquire.
Tenants can work in the plot they live for no travel time. They can work outside that plot, but their productivity is decreased as they must spend some time travelling to other plots, depending on its distance.
At the end of each day, the resources extracted will be added to the Governors stockpile, and any resources consumed by the NPC workers will be removed.

Tenant Development: Tenants who live on your plot and work for you start out as vagrants begging food, and, with your help, may eventually become wealthy, cultured and highly efficient workers. Tenants, unlike Hired Labourers, are employed for a period of a week at a time. Though their "wage" for the week might be small, they also require (after Level 1), some sort of housing, and as you train them and develop them, their wants become ever more extravagent.

The competency and development of your Tenants is done by Levels. All owned plots start at level 1, and up to eight tenants can be hired to work that plot, each for a cost of 1 food per week. However, these tenants are less productive than a Hired Labourer - they will only produce 50% of the work of a hired labourer per day - that is, they'll produce 0.5 resource per day. You can improve the quality of labour in your plot by making a one off development investment to advance to Level 2. Once you are at Level 2, you can employ up to 9 Tenants at level 2 wages. You can no longer employ tenants at Level 1 wages - they've seen better, and refuse to work down. If you can't afford to, you don't have to employ all nine tenants - but you must employ at least 1 tenant per week at that level to stay at that level. For each week you have no tenants employed at the current level, the region will un-develop one level.
As long as you keep employing at least 1 tenant per week, you can stay at level 2 for as long as you like, without having to pay the Investment to upgrade to level 2 again. You also now have the option to upgrade to Level 3, and start employing Tenants at Level 3 wages instead of Level 2 etc. You may only upgrade levels once per week.

At Level 5, your tenants are as productive as Hired Labourers, producing one unit of resource per day. Above this level, your tenants have reached an advanced level of development. They can now extract extra resources from the same land. At level 6, each tenant you employ will produce 1.05 units for the unit of resource on the plot that you get them to extract. That means at the Top Level, a plot that can produce a max of 50 units can actually produce 75 units of resources, because of the high quality work methods you use.

Tenants generally work in the same plot that they live in, but they can also work in other plots. You have to allow time to travel between plots, which reduces their overall resource extracting potential. This travel time can be reduced by building roads between plots. See 'Infastructure' below.

Investment (to advance to this level)
Level 2. 5 Building Materials
Level 3. 10 Building Materials
Level 4. 10 Building Materials, 5 Transport
Level 5. 15 Building Materials, 5 Transport, 5 Metal,
Level 6. 15 Building Materials, 10 Transport, 5 Metal, 2 Clothing, 3 Power
Level 7. 20 Building Materials, 10 Transport, 5 Metal, 2 Clothing, 3 Power, 2 Luxury Goods
Level 8. 20 Building Materials, 10 Transport, 10 Metal, 4 Clothing, 6 Power, 4 Luxury Goods
Level 9. 20 Building Materials, 10 Transport, 10 Metal, 4 Clothing, 6 Power, 6 Luxury Goods, 5 Luxury Metal
Level 10. 25 Building Materials, 15 Transport, 10 Metal, 8 Clothing, 10 Power, 8 Luxury Goods, 5 Luxury Metal
Top Level. 30 Building Materials, 15 Transport, 15 Metal, 8 Clothing, 10 Power, 10 Luxury Goods, 10 Luxury Metal

Wages (Weekly Upkeep)
Level 1. 1 Food
Level 2. 1 Food
Level 3. 1 Food, 0.5 Clothes
Level 4. 1 Food, 0.5 Power, 0.5 Clothes
Level 5. 1 Food, 0.5 Luxury Food, 0.5 Power, 0.5 Clothes
Level 6. 1 Food (two types), 0.5 Luxury Food, 0.5 Power, 1 Clothes
Level 7. 1 Food (two types), 0.5 Luxury Food, 0.5 Power, 1 Clothes, 0.5 Luxury Goods
Level 8. 1.5 Food (two types), 0.5 Luxury Food, 1 Power, 1 Clothes, 0.5 Luxury Goods
Level 9. 1.5 Food (two types), 1 Luxury Food, 1 Power, 1 Clothes, 0.5 Luxury Goods
Level 10. 1.5 Food (two types), 1 Luxury Food, 1 Power, 1 Clothes, 1 Luxury Goods
Top Level. 1.5 Food (two types), 1 Luxury Food, 1 Power, 1 Clothes, 1 Luxury Goods (two types)

Efficiency and max Tenants per plot.
Level 1: 50%, max 8
Level 2: 60%, max 9
Level 3: 70%, max 10
Level 4: 85%, max 12
Level 5: 100%, max 15
Level 6: 105%, max 20
Level 7: 110%, max 25
Level 8: 120%, max 30
Level 9: 130%, max 40
Level 10: 140%, max 50
Top Level 150 %, max 100.

Substitutability: Some groups of resources can be substituted for other resources. Luxury Food can be substituted for food. Luxury Metal can be substituted for Metal. It must be noted, however, that where you are substituting one resource for another and you are required to have a type of that resource, it must be a different type than the one you are substituting. For example, if you are required to have two types of food, you could have Fish and Wine (a Luxury Food). If you need two types of food AND one luxury food, you could not have Fish, Wine and More Wine. You would need to have Fish, Wine and Tropical Fruit, or, instead, have Fish, General Farming and Wine.

Infrastructure: Resources gained via this system can be used to produce infastructure beyond room and board for tenants. They can produce roads linking towns, create new settlements, create custom buildings etc.

Roads can be produced at a cost of 3 Building Material, 5 Transport per pixel, 2 units labour.
Travel Time:
Distance/Without Road/With Road
0 plots / None / None
1 plot / -10% / - 5%
2 plots / -20% / - 10%
3 plots / -35% / - 15%
4 plots / -50% / - 20%
5 plots / - 75% / - 25%
6 plots and above / Cannot travel / A further - 10% per extra plot

A Building can cost any of the following materials: Building Materials, Labour, Metal, Transport, Power, Luxury Metal, Luxury Good. They are placed in order of commonness - all buildings require Building Materials and Labour, many require Transport and Metal, some require Power, fancy ones require Luxury Metal, and the really, really expensive ones will be decked out in jewels, pearls and other Luxury Goods.

Some buildings help resource extraction. If you have both minerals and farming on one plot, you cannot normally do both at once - however, if you construct an underground mine, you leave enough land to farm and can also gain resources. Likewise, if there are forests on the plot (either for wood, Game or Fur), you cannot remove the forests to farm and, at the same time, harvest things from within the forest. But you can construct special reserves to allow you to do both. Prices for these buildings can be worked out in consultation with the author of this document.

Mine - 5 Wood, 15 Stone, 10 Metal, 10 Labour, 10 Power [that is, 10 labourers for a week]
Enclosure - 20 Wood, 5 Stone, 20 Labour
Reserve - 20 Stone, 5 Metal, 20 Labour
Extracting Gas - 10 Stone, 10 Metal, 10 Labour, 20 Power
A mine resolves difficulties with metal and another resource.
An enclosure resolves difficulties with animals and another resource.
A reserve resolves difficulties with Wood and another resource.
Extracting Gas resolves difficulties with Natural Gas and another resource.

Plots: The Ruler is the starting owner of all plots. He sells the plots to Governors for a fee of 20 Gold Units. Plots are sold without explicitly declaring what resources are available in them, though a basic idea can be gleaned from the MCS Resource Map. For a fee of 5 gold units, a team will survey the plot and determine what types of resources can be extracted, how many, and whether they are mutually exclusive. To start, he will reserve any plots capable of producing Gold, but these may be available for sale later at a higher price.

Ammendment: This charter may be amended by Andreas the Wise after discussion on amendments in this forum.
Plot Map. I have the corresponding word doc.

Please pick a starting location (free, preferably in your Barony). For now, 3,4,6 and 7 are not available. All others will be sold for 20 Gold Units.

Oh, and I forgot that most people aren't familiar with MITO resource classifications. Here they are:
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Andreas the Wise

Re: Resource Charter

Andreas will start in 22 and also buy 13 to begin with.

The Ruler/Duke will start with 4.
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

The Ruler/Duke will start with 4.
4 what?

I would like to start with plot 10 as my free plot and then buy plots 9 and 14.

As Ruler, I understand that I sell these plots to me as Governor (me in RL) for 20 gold each, so I have 60 gold with which to work. Is that the correct understanding?

I want to pay the 5 gold per plot for the team to survey the plot and determine what types of resources can be extracted, how many, and whether they are mutually exclusive.

I want to have 2 Tenants per plot = 20 each [NPCs as you call them], but peasants to me.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

May Kaiser Mises I rule soon.
-----------------------------
Former Citizen
One Time Order of The Phoenix
Impartial Envisionor

Baron Von_Scot of Hallucination
The future Kaiser Mises I
Former Cessor of Shireroth.
What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

4 means the Duke gets number 4.

And for now, I'm thinking the Duke is the one Ruler of everything, and thus gets all the money, not you. But otherwise, your thinking is spot on.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Andreas the Wise

Resource classifications added (sorry). For the record, Whale, ??? and Shipbuilding = Special. Not that we have ??? or Shipbuilding.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

I would like to have plot 30 and 15. :)
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Andreas the Wise

Ok, they're yours.

And Austi brought up a good point. I originally wrote "plots produce x per month max" and then wrote the whole rest of the charter with "per week" in mind. Shall we change it officially to "per week"?
Q - Director of SAMIN

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

That was where I was waiting for. :evil
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

"weekly it is then" he said strongly.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

A clarification: (I confused myself)
The "max" on each plot is the max amount of workers that can be employed on that resource PER DAY. So if it says Max 10 wood, that means, in one day, you can have up to 10 people working on wood, so over a week you get 7*10 people's production (anywhere from 35 to 105, depending on the level of the plot).

At least, I think that's how I wrote it ...

EDIT: Damn, I forgot Natural Gas when doing up the map (the red is so similiar to the Shirithian one). Expect a slight readjustment of plots - I'll ensure it doesn't affect any currently owned ones, but purchases are temporarily suspended. (I'll probably split 28 or 8)
Q - Director of SAMIN

Andreas the Wise

I shall purchase 31 and 36.

And say hello to 37!
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Would it be possible to post the plot map in the Economy forum?
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

I thought I'd updated it in the Charter ...
*edits a number*
There we are ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Money money money - just made a sale.

I'll buy plots 15, 16, and 25 - and pay the exploration fee.

Let's see .... that's ummm 72 Kala.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

Errk. I was relooking at things to prepare a list of what plots are currently available ... and Austi - you can't have 15, Jonas already bought it. Since I think I've already charged you for it, just pick another.

And I'll buy 17 and pay for exploration.

Available: 1,2,5,11,12,18-21,23,24,26-29,32-35,37.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

Dang! - How about you let my peasants work plot 15 and I give it back to Jonas when he actually starts be part of this economy? Then at that time you can give me another plot - I'll reserve it now (19), but if that doesn't work I'll take plot 19 now.

Then when Jonas gets involved he can have plot 15 back and I will have paid for the improvements and not charge him, will that work?
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

You'd have to work a deal like that out with Jonas. I think it would be easiest if you just didn't use 15. (I'll send you 19s data)
Q - Director of SAMIN

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

But I already put peasants on it for like 5 days --

Jonas - can I work plot 15 for now/ please. .. or can you see your way clear to sell it to me, please.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

I have an email from Jonas saying he is selling plot 15 to me. So I guess you can keep plot 19 up for sale and I'll pay Jonas.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Austi_Scot

Post by Austi_Scot »

I have a PM from Jonas saying he is selling plot 15 to me. So I guess you can keep plot 19 up for sale and I'll pay Jonas

ed: I think one of these double post should be deleted - didn't know it happened.
Last edited by Austi_Scot on Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austi Scot
Former Citizen

Former Citizen
Impartial Envisionor

What does the Cessor do?

Andreas the Wise

Woah, double post. Ok, as you will.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “Economy”