Screenshot Fun

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Gryphon Avocatio

Screenshot Fun

Post by Gryphon Avocatio »

I was having fun with some programs. Look what I did!http://www.geocities.com/gryphon...o/iown.pngHeh...I thought that was fun. I never really used Windows 3.1 because I didn't get a computer until like 1996 or 1997. I just found this amusing.http://www.geocities.com/gryphon...creen1.pngPeople of you who partook in Ari's Linux class might get what's going on in here.I wish my computer were fast enough to actually run 3.1, though. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...Edited by: Gryphon Avocatio  at: 5/25/05 12:42

Hypatia Agnesi

Re: Screenshot Fun

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Wow, 3.1. I remember my mom's culture shock when my dad finally installed 95 (around late 96, actually) on our computer. The interfaces are so different. *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

Ah, 3.1. Such good times were had.And I'm kinda confused, are you NXing to your computer through someone elses, do you have two computers, or did you boot up the OSes seperately or something? Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Gryphon Avocatio

The first screenshot is me running Windows 3.11 over DOS 6.22 in VMWare on Redhat Fedora Core 3 on my computer in my dorm. Very slow, but it works (slow computer, small amount of ram). (hmm...6.22/2=3.11 Coincidence?)The second is me running Windows 3.11 over DOS 6.22 in VMWare on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 3 on my computer through an NX terminal on my girlfriend's computer running Windows XP SP2 in her dorm.I was bored yesterday after class, so I developed an evil plan, and it worked. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

So you basically ran a DOS shell in WinXP in order to run Win3.11.Interesting....I wonder if that would work to run all my old 3.11 games on.Of course, I still have games that we made FOR a DOS system without Windows! Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Fax Celestis

Post by Fax Celestis »

WarVoid, yes it does. That's how I play Rogue. And who would have thought that my fate, it would conjure this twist in the road on which I have wandered?Each vision and dream now completely dismembered, to give one's whole life and find nothing's remembered...And what good is a life that leaves nothing behind? Not a thought or a dream that might echo in time

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

not a Dos shell in Windows XP....a Virtual PC...litterally "emulating" an entire pc, including hardware, in softwarewindows 3.11 in colour? not something I am used to...still, I would like a chance to use dos 6.22 again...pity vmware it to costly to justify it..

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Not used to 3.1 in color? I remember it always being in color. *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

I only used it on a black and white laptop

Gryphon Avocatio

I'm not running XP. I don't believe in it. I ran DOS on a virtual machine under Linux.And yes, VMWare is quite costly. But have you checked out DOSBox ?">dosbox.sourceforge.net/>? It's a free DOS emulator originally designed to run old abandonware PC games, but theoretically, it should be able to run any DOS program (and judging by the screenshot on the news page, this includes Windows 3.1). I had it on this computer for a while, but it ran pretty slowly (b/c this computer sucks). It ran lemmings full speed on my GF's computer, though. And theorectically you should be able to install W31 on it and run windows games (though I don't know how fast they will go).It's worth a shot. 3e knowe ek that in fourme of speche is chaunge / With-inne a thousand 3eer, and wordes tho / That hadden pris now wonder nyce and straunge / Us thenketh hem, and 3et thei spake hem so, / And spedde as wel in loue as men now do...

Hypatia Agnesi

Post by Hypatia Agnesi »

Lemmings! I always wanted that game.Edit: I'm really smart. I keep forgetting I have an SNES emulator on this machine (because I lack a controller, and hadn't gotten the hang of using the keyboard instead), and even better, I actually have a copy of Lemmings for it. I'm going to go away now (and maybe play it if I'm not finishing the essay due tomorrow). *throws grenade for the hell of it*BO0O0O0O0/\/\!!!!!!Edited by: Hypatia Agnesi at: 5/25/05 20:10

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Am I the only one that used to play Gorillas in QBASIC? Hmmm... List ye oldie but goodie games people...Sierra's Red Baron (god I loved this game)Sierra's Kings Quest (monochrome version )Commander KeenWolfenstein 3DBlake StoneWarCraft (the original)Prince of PersiaRaptor (this game had such a kickass music score)Depth Charge (for BASIC)PitfallPAC-MANThe Ancient Art of War at Sea (played on a Tandy) Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

Tahmaseb

Post by Tahmaseb »

Commander Keen! Oh gods, I was young once....

Gryphon the Pure

Post by Gryphon the Pure »

Of those, I played...Commander KeenWarCraftPrince of Persia (1 and 2, though more 2, as it was better by far)Raptor (though I don't remember much of it)PitfallPAC-MANand also...(That paper airplane game, whatever it was called... and the sequel)Widget WorkshopThe Incredible MachineLemmingsLoderunnerMunchers (edutainment games, w00t)Math Blaster (lots of 'em : p)HypermanEmergency RoomJazz Jackrabbit Gryphon the Pure- Shirithian Elder - Dutch of Kildare - Minister of the Interior - High Priest of Apostrophe aka Grammar Fuhrer - Director of the Shirithian Census - Imperial Advisor -q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);q=parseInt(Math.random()*gryphSig.length);q=(isNaN(q))?0:q;document.write(gryphSig[q]);Edited by: Gryphon the Pure at: 5/27/05 1:14

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

How could I forget about Jazz Jackrabbit?!That game rocked. And they just made a sequel not too long ago IIRC.I keep hearing about this Lemmings game but have never seen or played it. Useless art is simply tolerated vandalism. I am a vandal.

osmose1000

Post by osmose1000 »

YOU'VE NEVER SEEN/PLAYED LEMMINGS?! Hypatia's Mom: Yay! I'm legal now.Moose: WE(Shireroth) HAVE NON-NOBLES?![21:11] Bill7D0: It's 9:11 PM. Do you know where your plane is?

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”