Babylon 5

The off-topic. Almost anything goes.
Kaiser Ikol II

Babylon 5

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

I keep seeing references to this everywhere and everyone even remotely interesting whom I know seems to like it, so I finally downloaded some of the first season to check it out.

So far, I'm really not impressed. Every cliche there is, acting so bad even I, who don't notice acting, notice it, the attempts to sound "deep" fall facepalmingly flat, and not a lot of interest going on besides Unsympathetic Alien #6 trying to kill Unsympathetic Alien #7. Also, the "aliens" are just humans with weird hairstyles who speak with Italian accents. I'm going to be disappointed if there isn't an episode where it was revealed that the so-called "alien race" was just a lost Italian colony where the secret of hairstyling was forgotten and who have been fooling the Earth Alliance into thinking they were aliens for centuries.

But I felt the same way about the first season or so of Buffy, and then later on it got great.

So, would all of Shireroth's Babylon 5 fans (and I know they're out here!) please reassure me that it gets better and I should keep going until it does?

Chrimigules

Re: Babylon 5

Post by Chrimigules »

The first season of any long show is shakey. Just look at Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Well, Scott, you just admitted liking Buffy; so you're ability to discern "good" television from "bad" television just went out the window.

That said, I have always been a huge fan of B5 (And so it begins!) and found the movies especially enjoyable. The final season was by far the best. It definitely becomes more engrossing and enjoyable as you progress further into the story. And the actors, while not the best of Hollywood, eventually fill their roles out quite well and have good character development over the course of the series.
Oh ye who torments me in dreams of dark abysses, beware the sleeping shadow, for it is a bane like no other...
-The Sorcerer of Korgun-Amoth

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

I have all 5 seasons, the movies, and the pilot for the shitty 2nd spin off (that never happened). I still need Crusade.

Also by the guy who does B5, Jeremiah. Good show. Still in season 1 though.

Things get better after Season 1. Season 1 literally is then just getting the plot going, and filling in the characters. It'll end well and make you want to see Season 2. (people die...). Season 4 is my favorite. I think 5 meant well, and did rock, but lacked a bit since they wrapped so much up in 4. B5 could have been a whole lot better if Turner (TnT) didn't keep trying to fuck with it...

You also have to remember, this was the FIRST show to use CG for everything. Star Trek was still using models when this show came out. ST: DS9 copied the show (seriously, after the turned down the screen play for B5 they started DS9...)

OH.. and Kosh rocks... Ignore the Centari btw.. they are nuts.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

There's nothing to be said about episodes like Infection and TKO but an apology for their badness. Use ones like Chrysalis and And The Sky Full Of Stars as the benchmark of whether you'll want to keep watching - the plot will go to somewhat similar places, but the quality will improve, and actions will have consequences.
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Gman Russell

Post by Gman Russell »

AHEM.

I was perfectly content to be on my LOA, when a happenstance glance at the board revealed a B5 discussion.

ahem.

The final season was for me, the worst of the seasons, for reasons I can't reveal without ruining it for Scott (Elizibeth Lochley excluded). My favorite episode is GROPOS from season 2, though my favorite season is proly 3. And TKO wasn't that bad, Ari. :p And I agree with Erik. Season 2 will decide whether you want to keep watching. If you don't like it by that point, then give up.

And Kosh does rock, but I am by FAR more interested in his ancient enemies. :evil
What follows has lead me to this place where I belong, with all erased.

Kaiser Ikol II

Post by Kaiser Ikol II »

Use ones like Chrysalis and And The Sky Full Of Stars as the benchmark of whether you'll want to keep watching
Well, I just saw Sky Full of Stars (is it just me, or do all the episodes have kind of pretentious sounding names that have nothing to do with what happens in them?). I guess I do want to know why the Minbari (who are reminding me more and more of Hyperboreans) surrendered, but I'm not impressed with the "OH MY GOD WE'RE IN YOUR MIND!" gimmick, and it feels like nothing was actually revealed. Also, I'm not sure of this, but have the last three villains (Ivanova's racist boyfriend, the archaeologist with the organic technology, and 'I will go into your mind and torture you' guy all looked pretty much alike? Does the writer of this show have some sort of deep-seated terror of guys with short blonde hair?

But I just saw Deathwalker, and that was pretty good. Ambassador Kosh is neat. And that guy he was negotiating with - the one with the ridiculous hat and the brain sticking out of the top of his head - kind of reminds me of Erik.

Hesam Jayatar

Post by Hesam Jayatar »

Scott,

When B5 first came out, I couldn't watch it. When it had a couple seasons under it's belt it was riveting. Because of that, I had to watch it twice. Once from season 5 to the end, then again from beginning to end. I think it's nearly impossible to make it through season one unless you're constantly reassured it gets better.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

The Vcr guy was weird.... It's amusing when you find out what that all was about. (they never directly explain it I don't think, but it becomes obvious.)

Shyriath

Post by Shyriath »

And that guy he was negotiating with - the one with the ridiculous hat and the brain sticking out of the top of his head - kind of reminds me of Erik.
I demand to see a picture of Erik with brains sticking out the top of his head! And also waffles.

phineas elastopon

Post by phineas elastopon »

Phineas Elastopon (formerly known as Benkern, Bacchus etc.)
Republic of Antica
Inquisitor

Chrimigules

Post by Chrimigules »

It could have been better if they went by the original plan!

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Start with Series 2, end with Series 4. Pretend Series 1 and 5 never happened. Otherwise Babylon 5 is one of the best moronic sci-fi shows of the 90's.

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

And I like Spaced.. except that one line....

Aster

Post by Aster »

it's all about DEEP SPACE 9 chaps - I have the whole thing on DVD and I'm proud of it

phineas elastopon

Post by phineas elastopon »

How can you even MENTION DS9 without first affirming that it sucks the cajones of both Voyager and the Next Generation??
Phineas Elastopon (formerly known as Benkern, Bacchus etc.)
Republic of Antica
Inquisitor

Erik Mortis

Post by Erik Mortis »

And stole almost anything worth noting from B5... Voyager was okey... Jainway was rather annoying till she let her hair down... literally.

Harvey Steffke

Post by Harvey Steffke »

Ryan wrote:Well, Scott, you just admitted liking Buffy; so you're ability to discern "good" television from "bad" television just went out the window.
Accurate.

Return to “Shrine of Controversy”