Temple to Sakat

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Andreas the Wise

Temple to Sakat

Post by Andreas the Wise »

Forgot to add ... there'll be a temple to Sakat here, built on a cliff overhanging the coast, so that tunnels run down and into the sea for his Squidiness to enter through, should he so desire ...
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Andreas the Wise

Re: Temple to Sakat

And now the time comes for the History of Sakat, God of Historians, to finally be recorded.
The Beginning
In the Beginning there was practically nothing. Then something happened. Unfortunately, Sakat was not there to record it, and so nobdy is quite sure what it was. Some time later, the mortal races were already well established, as where the Transcendi, called by the mortals "gods", by Sakat, "anthropomorphic-personifications-that-feed-off-belief", and by historians, "bloody nuisances". Then emerged Sakat.

There are two stories aboue this. Well, one story, and one history. Told by his twin brother, Stora, the god of Legends, a mortal man discovered a large blue egg. Holding it, it hatched, and revealed two beings - Stora and Sakat. Sakat taught the mortals to write, but Stora taught them to dream. With a choice between a practical skill that can be easily taught and allows people to record what actually happened; and an impractical self indulgent activty that gives an excuse for sleep, the mortals preferred dreaming, and Sakat fled.

Recorded by Sakat, the history is vastly different. Mortals already knew how to dream. It was as a mortal, in his cabin, put the first pen to the first scroll and began to write that there was a divine glow, the scroll rolled up, and then broke into a pile of papers and two small unformed beings. One flew through the window into the next hut, belonging to the town Medicine Man. The other fell into the waterbutt, and immediately sprouted small tentacles. The mortal, whose name remains unknown, picked up the squidy one, who was, indeed, Sakat, and so the first Historian and the God of Historians were united. Sakat then patiently listened to the mortals thoughts on what had happened recently, and why, as opposed to what the Medicine Man was telling the village. Sakat then led him outside to where the Medicine man, with Stora behind him, was telling stories about how the gods had appeared. Sakat, being born knowing the truth of the affair, prompted the historian to speak out. But the Medicine Man, with Stora, drove him and Sakat away, and they fled the village.

Sakat, however, had one true believer, and that was all he needed. As the mortal lept into the sea, fleeing the villager's spears, and began to swim towards the island, his eyes grew narrower, his body shorter, and his toes and fingers grew the slightest webbing, making him able to swim better underwater. His lungs expanded, and, when he reached the island, he discovered his swimming ability was far greater than any other human. Thus the first Mel'anje was born, because there are some things, anthropomorphic personifications or not, gods have to do.
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I like it. Is that why Scott refers to himself as GSquid314?

Andreas the Wise

In my allknowing wisdom, I'll say yes.

In actuality, I highly doubt it, since I only made this up just now ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

If you had read Scott's livejournal you might well ask the same question. I started reading it when he was studying in Ireland, followed him through his biking and walking tour of Greece, and now as an English teacher in Japan. He always brings the cultural and historical relevance to his writing, so it seemed a logical question.

benkern

Post by benkern »

I think Scott's affiliation with all things squid predates the Apollo Sector, and thusly Cedrism, Shireroth etc. But wait a moment, here comes the man himself, let's ask him...

*waits*
By His H47,
Baron Benkern of Vorpmadal, Yardistan.
"Like us or hate us, someone will still hold the torch. You might as well try to like us." - Harvey Steffke
"Tis not a leaving of a harried knave/Tis not with tail tucked in shame/Rather in glorious exhibition of benevolent might/Sun bids the world an emblazon g'night."
"But every beginning is only a continuation and the book of fate is always open in the middle."

Scott of Hyperborea

Post by Scott of Hyperborea »

"Squid" has been somewhere in my online nickname since I was ten or so. I just think they're cool. And Sakat was named after me because I was doing most of the history work back when the gods were being named. It's the Old Hyperborean pronunciation of "Scott". Hence his status as a squid-god.

Andreas the Wise

Ahh ... I'll defend the historical status carefully then, M' .... well, can't say M'Lord, so how about M'Commonner ...

And more ideas are forming. I think I have time travel sorted and am even working in the Sands of Time ...
Q - Director of SAMIN

hypatias mom

Post by hypatias mom »

I'm glad to know I was on the right track. I think this is a good way of acknowledging Scott's contributions and strengths. Sakat is a good name for this god of history. And I think it's funny that Scott's Japanese students call him almost the same thing--Secotto.

Andreas the Wise

Then, for a time after that, Sakat was long gone from the island. But being a historical god, he kept careful note of the time - it was 102 years, 3 months and 12 days. During that time he set out to learn everything he could about the history of the world, and everyone in it. He found a great deal out about the other gods, and his own place in the divine circle, though the history just before his birth he could not discover. As he travelled he found like minded people, other historians. But unfortunately, his brother, Stora, was never far behind him, and Stora was, as any good god does, determined to expand his own sphere of influence and believers, and though his stories became wilder, his popularity grew, and Sakat's few followers were driven from their homes. All were taken to the island refuge Sakat had found for his first believer, and became the Mel'anje people, a race full of wisdom in words and history, discerning in their writing, and careful in their records. It was during this time (year 94, month 5, to year 97, month 6) that the construction began on the first great Library of Sakat, where in his followers chronicled all the history that their great god helped them discover, but no work was put on a temple to Sakat, for, alas, as he grew older, he grew bigger, and soon he could no longer leave the water. His followers, though they saw him not, except when first called, believed he could travel between any two bodies of water - connected or not, whether stream or river, stagnant pool or frothing ocean, and so, in time, he could. Sakat was a novelty among gods (apart from Aethisiticus) - a god who did not believe in the gods. That is, he did not believe they were who they claimed to be - he believe they were beings like himself, who gained their power through belief, and so strived for more believers. But he never claimed divinity, and so became the second most atheistic god in existence. Stora, however, knowing he was but a small god in the scheme of things, played to the bigger ones, and told the stories they wanted told, and indeed expanded and elaborated on them, until he knew as much about the legends of the divine as Sakat knew about their history.

Anyway, as belief in Sakat's powers to travel water grew, so too did his ability, though it was constricted by size. It was 102 years, 3 months and 12 days after he had brought his first follower to the island that he returned, landing on the beach, the in between spot, neither water nor land, and the only place he could meet his followers face to face. What transpired ...
To be continued.
Q - Director of SAMIN

Return to “County of Melangia”