The great dance continues

Moderators: Jonas, Falkner van der Sluijs

Bacchus

The great dance continues

Post by Bacchus »

This place has hidden itself quite well under the guise of enlightenment. I was first taken by Elwynn; saw her as the worst offender; but it is clear to me now that, perhaps, it is Kildare that has most needed my attention. This is not a revelation from the god, but from man; a man, your Baron, Andreas the so-called Wise. With the twelth decree of his reign he has banned the god's drink. All wine except the wine of Kildare, he says- but Kildare is suffering a great infestation. Who can tell how far and deep the rampant search for knowledge has caused damage? Perhaps it is even in the wine, the water, the air.

My Bacchants however fear not this infestation for they are sent by the god and are full of his indefatigable spirit. Dance now, let the dance begin in Kildare! Dionysus is before you, before your eyes, my children! See the bull-horns swing, his locks fly to and fro as the dance issues forth from its master. Strike! the thyrsus hard on the ground and yield the earth's good bounty. A stream of juice from the god's sending. How does it taste, my maenads? That slight taste of iron- that is the sickness permeating through the land and into the wine.

That sickness is the hubristic actions of the nobles of this region. Proclaiming wisdom is the single greatest folly a man can commit. Only the gods can hope to understand this world and any others that might exist; the only true knowledge we can achieve comes directly from the gods, such as the rites, which were revealed to be shared among men. Take, for example, matter. It was Leucippus and his student Democritus who committed one such folly. They held that, if a bar of gold was cut in half with a knife, and again, and again, one would eventually have the smallest possible object of matter- atomos. And yet, today we know there is something smaller, sub-atomic particles. Within these sub-atomic particles there are even smaller things. 1000 years from now they will be talking in terms of sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-atomic particles and yet without the revelation of the truth from the god they will not be able to understand that there is no end, no ultimate truth, no definitive unit of existance by which you can measure yours. There is the folly- the search for the truth- and the light- the embracing of the rites and life, together. I do declare it, the only man whose self-proclaimed wisdom I can appreciate was Socrates- the smartest man in all of Greece, so said the Oracle, because he understood he knew nothing. We will always know nothing. So join in the dance, forget about wisdom and ignorance, life and death, everything and nothing and let the euphoric trance become your act of study.

Andreas, you may be aware that this speech is partly in address to you. May the Baron think no more, and let the rites be his guide. Here is a lovely bottle of 2007 Tarrango, Browns' Mystic Park. Slightly chilled by the god for your enjoyment.
The High Priest of Bacchus, or Dionysos Eleutherios, the bull-horned god
The poster formerly known as Benkern
Eaaaaohhh! Join in the dance!
official representative of the Channel Islanders in Yardistan

Aurangzeb Khan

Re: The great dance continues

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

2007 Tarrango
The ambrosia of the gods isn't what it once was... :rolleyes

Jonas

Post by Jonas »

That sickness is the hubristic actions of the nobles of this region.
HEY! Who do you call sick?! :angry

:D
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Ardashir- It doesn't do to crack open the venerable vintages when dealing with those who do not know the rites of Bacchus. Though you knock the Tarrango? Hmm. I suppose not bitter enough for your tastes. :p

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Yes, I prefer fermented vinegar of a suitable vintage. (True story - I drank a bottle of vinegar once to win a bet, the results were "interesting")

Andreas the Wise

Post by Andreas the Wise »

*sigh* - You're not playing it right, let me show you how its done. :document

A drunk Novatainian could play a bootlegger better than you at this rate, so I raised your street cred by connecting you to the last drunk Novatainian bootlegger :p
The character Andreas the Wise is on indefinite leave.
However, this account still manages:
Cla'Udi - Count of Melangia
Manuel - CEO of VBNC. For all you'll ever need.
Vincent Waldgrave - Lord General of Gralus
Q - Director of SAMIN
Duke Mel'Kat - Air Pirate, Melangian, and Duke of the Flying Duchy of Glanurchy

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

A drunk Novatainian could play a bootlegger better than you at this rate, so I raised your street cred by connecting you to the last drunk Novatainian bootlegger
Eh?

Andreas the Wise

The Beer Baron. naiga murof eht ot sgniht engarts gniod s'irA dnA
Q - Director of SAMIN

And references may be made to Vur'Alm Xei'Bôn (a Nelagan Micron of undisclosed purpose).

Oroigawa Koreyasu

Post by Oroigawa Koreyasu »

Andreas the Wise wrote:The Beer Baron. naiga murof eht ot sgniht engarts gniod s'irA dnA
egnarts**
Oroigawa Koreyasu
Count of McCallavre, Straylight
Count of Lesser Attera, Kildare
Count of Asantelian, Brookshire

Chairman, Senate of the Lakes, Hurmu

Andreas the Wise

No, that was how it came out. It was particularly egnarts in that every so often it would throw a letter in the wrong place while I was typing ....
Q - Director of SAMIN

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

The god has a way of setting people free, and I do mean in the literal sense as well as the metaphorical sense. Let my Bacchants dance me to my cell if that is what Dionysus will have happen; but don't upset the rhythm, no. My body and my spirit are nothing but a voice for the god, a role which could just as easily be fulfilled by another body and another spirit. Silence me, kill me, you will never kill Bacchus, you will never silence the burning desire of your own heart to be in communion with the world around you. And that is what the rites will grant you, if you only choose to join the great dance.

Andreas the Wise

I'll take that as a "No, this won't be an exciting prohibition ..."
Q - Director of SAMIN

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

"Exciting" and "prohibition" are two words that ought never to be used in the same sentence. :p

Aurangzeb Khan

Post by Aurangzeb Khan »

Outside of the Swat Valley were all exciting things are now subject to prohibition.

Andreas the Wise

Bacchus wrote:"Exciting" and "prohibition" are two words that ought never to be used in the same sentence. :p
You, sah, have obviously never served against the Beer Baron. :archy
Q - Director of SAMIN

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Indeed so. However, send him over from Novatainia and I'm sure he and the Bacchic cult will get on like a house on fire.

Now, to the matter at hand. You seem to me as one of the greatest enemies of Dionysus, not through direct vocal opposition (a wise move on your part, for opposition is widespread in these early days and it would be easy to fall into that trap) but I think in attitude. Do you still hold learning dearer to your heart than the exploration of your own true self? Scholarship for its own sake is a powerful and damaging force, much like the rites in some cases; indeed, neither have an ultimate goal, Dionysus' worship being the realisation of the truth and nothing more thereafter is required, and with wisdom seeming an unending battle. But the key difference is that there is no truth in scholarship, there is no definition. Paradoxically, while Bacchus worship concerns itself chiefly with the deconstruction of those disastrous barriers which plague society, it does provide definition: two tiers, the first, the irrepressible will of Dionysus himself which exists within everyone, the second, man, the hounds and tools and objects of Bacchus. Further definition is provided in the rites themselves in their simplicity. Follow the divine instruction which comes from within and without, and hurry forth now as the dance and music begin. My maenads, take heed! The god speaks! Thyrsus in hand, carry out his will as one, the Bacchants, the workshipful follower of Dionysus. To you, Andreas, I put this. You can achieve so much more with the rites in the single lifetime for which Bacchus watches over you than you can with an infinite number of years to study all the works of men, holy and unholy, learned and unlearned. The cultists can speak words to you, but the truest and most poignant act of conversion comes from within, from Dionysus himself, whose will permeates through your mind and heart constantly. To repress or reject him is dangerous in more ways than one. Use the wisdom claim to have gathered and know there is nothing malign in what I say.

Andreas the Wise

OOC: It's nice to see you're taking this relatively seriously (ie its not just a one day whim) and developing in depth a new micronational religion. But if you're not going to play prohibition then I'm going to have to beg my leave because I have limited time and the moment and would prefer not to spend it debating Baachan theology. I know what lies deep within the heart of man and it's not pretty. :knife
Q - Director of SAMIN

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

By all means, take your leave if you want to, don't think I try to detain you. The great dance satisfies all of the heart's inner desires; this conversation affords me nothing signficiant, aside from the development of the Bacchic theology which is happening constantly in everyone. Go now, please, and let the Maenads refresh and renew communication through their motions and movements. A circle now begins to form as the Bacchants all together hear the voice of the god calling them, instructing them. They raise their thyrsus and the dappled fawnskin waves gently in the wind as Dionysus' want for silence overtakes the arena. Now, all together, they strike! and what does not form before them all in the centre but a pool of wine, emerging from the ground as Dionysus wills it. After supping on the liquid Dionysus called into existance, they begin their dance, first in pairs, now alone, each listening intently to the words of the god as they move in formation and yet in different ways. This, a demonstration of the nature of the rites.

Return to “County of Melangia”