quote tags

Manages technical infrastructure for the board and website; make administrative requests here

Moderator: Erik Mortis

Bacchus

quote tags

Post by Bacchus »

Are they a bit broken sometimes? See

http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 3&start=21 and http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=241&t=10981 (the very bottom of the OP)

It seems that, very occasionally, the [ /quote] tag seems not to be effective as a quote closing tag but instead make the following text in the same post smaller.

Any ideas- from the Minister, or others?

BTW- if you can't see anything out of the ordinary in the above posts, it may just be me.
The High Priest of Bacchus, or Dionysos Eleutherios, the bull-horned god
The poster formerly known as Benkern
Eaaaaohhh! Join in the dance!
official representative of the Channel Islanders in Yardistan

Jonas

Re: quote tags

Post by Jonas »

Have already said it. I had to shut up. :angel
From a distance I'm concerned about the rampant lawyerism manifesting itself in Shireroth currently. A simple Kaiserial slap on the wrist or censure by the community should suffice. - Jacobus Loki
Can't you see? I'm crazy! :tomcutterhamonfire :smashy

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

Must have missed that. :fish

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

It's a long story of broken character encodings that got us here. First we moved from ezBoard to shireroth.kuroshiro.net and everything just about kind of worked unless you tried to quote or edit old posts. Then we moved from shireroth.kuroshiro.net to shireroth.org and posts from after the ezBoard move got imported perfectly but posts from before the move got cut off at the first non-UTF-8 character. Which meant a lot of broken stuff. So I ended up reimporting everything under the assumption that all of the posts were encoded in iso-8859-1, which was close enough to the truth for the posts from ezBoard that they're mostly fine now. Mostly. The problem with that, though? Now all the characters not in the common subset of ISO-8859-1 and UTF-8 (aka 7-bit ASCII) posts that were originally from shireroth.kuroshiro.net have gotten misencoded into a rather lengthy string of noise.

The solution I might try later this week (since I'm getting rather annoyed by the brokenness myself - it's making a lot of the goodness in Elwynn unreadable, for one) is to figure out the postID cutoffs for the move from ezBoard to shireroth.kuroshiro.net, and from shireroth.kuroshiro.net to shireroth.org, and reimport the posts for that age from the database file I made for the move to shireroth.org... and this time try not to timewarp the board (beyond cancelling any edits to those posts made after the move, I guess)...

As for the broken quote tags, I don't really know what's causing them, but if fixing the encoding on those posts won't fix the quotes, you're going to just have to live with it :fish
No-one should be without a parasol, Sirocco.

Bacchus

Post by Bacchus »

It's not much of a problem. Thanks for the speedy and full reply.

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

"Later this week" turned out to be today :knife

Well, anyways, my idea of what was going on turned out to not be quite correct.. although, I only managed to refute the theory, not replace it with one that I could definitively trust :(. Anyways, I converted things about a bit, and it does seem to have fixed the posts referred to in OP, and all the other ones I looked at...

For the curious, it seems (though I don't really know for sure, I didn't check *that* carefully) that the first post on shireroth.kuroshiro.net was http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=75762 (incidentally, while looking for it I happened to bump on http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=76000 - seems Fax's "soon" is even less so than mine :p), while the first post on shireroth.org was http://shireroth.org/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 93#p131793 )

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Reports of things being broken in interesting ways are welcome, of course... for now... it's 3 AM and I haven't finished my coronation speech... so I guess it'll have to wait for tomorrow...

Return to “Ministry of the Interior”