Oi! Linux ppl...

A central forum for general discussion

Moderator: Kaiser Fish XII

Mattlore Devious

Oi! Linux ppl...

Post by Mattlore Devious »

Does anyone know of a programme that allows you to run Microsoft/Windows based games in linux. Like a programme that actually works/is any good?

Sir Iain de Vembria

Re: Oi! Linux ppl...

Post by Sir Iain de Vembria »

I read somewhere of a version of Linux called Lindows that's supposed to be able to run Windows programs... His Excellency the Grand Chancellor of the United Baronies

david northworthy beckfor

Post by david northworthy beckfor »

use wine "Disclaimer: Whatever is in the above post is probably a result of my blind following of Kieran Bennett, because I have even less of a brain than Kieran. Don't even get me started on my lack of independent thought."

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

Short answer: It depends.Long answer: There's the general-purpose Wine, the CodeWeavers Crossover series for some office software and browser plugins, WineX for games that use DirectX, VMware for running Windows inside Linux (or vice versa, or other operating systems inside others), Win4Lin for running 9x-series Windows OSen on Linux wicked fast, and probably some other alternatives I don't know of. Wine is the only one of these that is actually free both as in beer and as in speech. VMware offers a free evaluation version and you can compile WineX from the source if you know how to fiddle with autoconf and possibly LD_LIBRARY_DIR.Wine doesn't take much setting up on modern distros, but it's not terribly complete yet (*) so, well, you can never really tell whether a game works on it or not before you've either tried it yourself or checked appdb.winehq.com.(*) Wine Is Not an Emulator (that's what "WINE" is an acronym for); It's a loader for PE executables that contains a partial implementation of the Win32 API. The problem here is that the only *complete* implementation of the Win32 API is, well, Windows. And it's neither easy nor simple to reimplement it all on top of another OS.... I spend my days enjoying the minty taste that surrounds Erik.

Kaiser Mors III

Post by Kaiser Mors III »

I used Wine to run StarCraft once... kinda worked... did funny things... I should try agian under RedHat Linux 9... with a updated version of Wine.. I hear they got WarCraft III running on it. and NWN will run on Linux... without much fuss I believe... Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Mattlore Devious

Cheers, we've looked at WineX and it seems to be quite useless...

Ari Rahikkala

Post by Ari Rahikkala »

What game are you trying to play? I might be able to find something to get it to work anyway..BTW, I just tried out Wine last night and it seemed to barely work at all on my system. That's not a surprise, really, considering that most of the critical stuff on my box is bleeding-edge (OTOH, all the stuff that I don't really need is stable. Don't ask me why I do it that way) and Wine needs to do stuff that breaks (because of, say, NPTL) sometimes... I spend my days enjoying the minty taste that surrounds Erik.

Mattlore Devious

Well dad wants to get rid of Windows on the computer and just have Linux...so it'd have to be able to run all the games we have on here, such as;Madden NFL 2002NBA Live 2001Rugby LeagueAge of MythologyImpossible CreaturesZoo Tycoonetc..But I think its unlikely we'll find anything

Kaiser Mors III

I've been meaning to do something of that nature on my Linux install on this machine... I shall look into it....someday...hehe Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Kaiser Mors III

Accually.. I tihnk it helps if you steal the System files from a real Windows install and give them to wine to use. I think I did that.. Mortis BrookshireKaiser of Shireroth

Return to “General Discussion”